Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Week 4 - Getting Started

I have been putting together a bunch of items to include in my first week materials. The rule is to have the students use all the tools they will need over the course of the semester. Also, I have included a Scavenger hunt. This is just a more fun way of making sure the students have read and understand the syllabus. In the past I have done this in the form of a "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" game, although the one I am creating now is just a quiz in Blackboard.

I am completing all these pieces as if the course were to be hybrid or even completely online. In reality, I will be teaching it as a computer-assisted course. Therefore, a lot of the hurdles that are encountered during the first week of class will hopefully be non-issues. Still, the posted materials will be useful for students that register late or ones that just need a reminder. Speaking of the first week, there was an interesting article in Higher Ed this morning about the retention of online students in regards to online and in-person orientation.

I'm thinking of including weekly podcasts. I haven't done these before, but it seems like another way to stay in contact with the students. I haven't decided whether to do it at the beginning of the week to give an overview of what is expected to be accomplished (topics, quizzes, tests, etc.) or at the end of the week to just summarize what we have covered and try to tie some concepts together. Or -- maybe both??

1 comment:

Shelley Rodrigo said...

I'm beginning to think it might be fun to do post-deadline podcasts that would be recaps of what I saw in the work submitted. So it could be "I saw you all were really getting "x" however, it appears you all could work a little more on "y" and some ways to help with "y" include 1, 2, and 3."