In the past, I have asked students to introduce themselves and include either a picture of themselves or something they think signifies something about themselves. This was an optional activity and naturally -- I got nothing! I did like Shelley's idea of sharing a picture of your desktop. It says something about yourself, without sharing a lot of personal information.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I decided to go with the MyMathLab/CourseCompass website for the main content of the course, things seem to have direction again. Before, I was creating pieces of the puzzle (syllabus, getting started, crossword puzzles, videos...) but I didn't have anything to bring them together. Now, it feels like there is a backbone to the course and I can fill in all the policies and details.
I have stewed/ranted/submitted/agitated/re-stewed over the selection of a textbook and software for almost the entire duration of this course. A colleague of mine said, "Do what you think is best and be happy!". That is what I intend to do!
Below is a screen shot of the "Course Documents" area of the course.

The following is a screenshot of a sample homework problem. This is one of the biggest reasons I like this website. It is NOT a multiple choice question, it has a help link that helps the student throught the first step to solving the problem, it has a sample worked out problem that the student can study, and it also includes a link to "Ask the Instructor" which send me an email with the problem along with text where the student can ask a question.
1 comment:
I think pick the best and go for it is always the best we can do. And then just be sure to be reflective during the process so you revise for better next time. :-)
Post a Comment